Saturday 28 September 2013

Brussels - The New Favourite!


Well Brussels is my new favourite place in the world! For the following reasons...
1. The architecture is incredible
2. The people are friendly, and
3. Frites! French fries, along with mussels, is their national dish and anyone who knows me well will know how much I love frites! And a visitor just has to sample the national dish!

Our accommodation is also fantastic. We negotiated the city traffic and found our hotel-slash-modern B&B without any trouble thanks to the GPS. It's only a 15 min bus ride to the city centre. Our first sight last night of what is described as "the most beautiful square in all of Europe," Grand Place was disappointing. It was overwhelmed by an enormous stage, sound vans, lighting rigs, huge crowds and really loud music (showing my age)! Thankfully when we went back today the scaffolding was already coming down and we could see the amazing buildings that line the square without hindrance. I so wish I was an artist and could draw these buildings!


We started the day at an antique market which ended up being real antiques so we headed for the flea market up the road and something more within my price range - i.e. single digit euro rather than triple digit euro!




We walked a lot, met Belgium's favourite cartoon hero (that's Tin Tin for the uneducated!), soaked up the ambience of this beautiful city and finished a fabulous day with more mussels, frites and a belgium waffle, because we should! I think I am leaving this place 2 kg heavier in just 2 days! And even for a frites lover, I think I will abstain tomorrow…let's hope I have the self control to do so!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jane,
    I hope that you are enjoying keeping us up to date as much as we are enjoying reading about your travels. I am feeling quite envious!

    Stay safe and have a great time in Deutschland.


    ReplyDelete