Wednesday 2 October 2013

Arriving at Bad Berneck

Yesterday we arrived at our October home base in Bad Berneck via the German autobahns…that Karl had way too much fun on! Bad Berneck is a cute little town set in a valley with very steep sides which Karl is loving the challenge of riding up.

It was nice to settle into a home, knowing we won't be packing our bags again in two days time. We even did a few domestics…shopped (can't remember the last time we walked around a supermarket together pushing a trolley!) and I cooked dinner for the first time in 3 weeks. I must admit I'm loving eating out but its great to have some extra space for a while and make a cup of tea (with some German biscuits) when I want.

Today we drove an hour west to Bamberg - a UNESCO-listed town which is just stunning. One of the features is the Old Town Hall built in the middle of the river which runs through the town.



Don't you think that building just looks like a Wedgewood plate! The Rose Garden was also lovely, and of course I found the dead roses more photogenic than the perfect ones (beauty is in the eye of the beholder!)






We enjoyed wandering around, getting lost, photographing doors (its quite a challenge to get the symmetry right!) and knitting (for all you craft lovers!), and of course having a bratwurst roll for lunch.






Thankfully I bought a warmer jacket on Monday in Wetzlar as the temp this morning got down to -1oC. It was a balmy 14oC by mid afternoon.

I think tomorrow will be a home day. I have lots to catch up on and it gives us a break from sight-seeing and driving. We will start making plans to visit Prague and Berlin as well. Thanks for following on. I love ready your comments if you can work out how to make them!


1 comment:

  1. What a cute place - loving seeing pic of places I have never seen before. So cool!

    ReplyDelete