Tuesday 15 October 2013

Prague...Now Vying for Favourite

Well I think Prague is now vying with Brussels for my favourite European city! Actually I think it is winning. After a 3 hour drive (complete with driving through a disused communist Czech border checkpoint) we drove right into the centre of Prague to our hotel. Before coming over, I wondered what sort of fanfare greets you as you depart one country and enter another. Actually there is none at all! There is lucky to even be a small sign alerting you to the fact you have crossed a border.

For those of you who have been to Prague this will be no surprise…it is a beautiful city! I think Charles Bridge and the stunning spires at either end was the highlight of the city for me, both day and night.





We also enjoyed views of the city from the top of the Old Town Hall yesterday but that was trumped this morning by the view from the South Tower at Prague Castle. Just as well - we climbed 287 stairs to get there! At least there was hardly anyone else on that viewing platform! Here we are looking down on the flying buttresses.


Once again it was fascinating to go through a very discreet museum (it's in Lonely Planet guides but not in any local tourist info) about their recent political history of being under communist rule and then liberation from it. Some compelling and confronting stories. 

The buildings in the Old Town are just stunning but when you get away from the tourist areas, especially on the outskirts of towns, there are some intriguing, old, abandoned and dilapidated buildings, which I love the character of. We pulled over so I could photograph this little beauty, but then it started to rain so we couldn't stop for others we saw.



I had several more photos to upload but I'm having major issues with either Blogger or the internet connection, so apologies for being light on today. I'll try to add a few more after my computer and I have had a sleep...reminds me of Cambodia!!!

Tomorrow is a rest day and the last at Bad Berneck. We leave on Thursday for Salzburg in Austria then into Italy and then homeward bound!

No comments:

Post a Comment